- 1 International Yoga Day Speech , Essay , Article , Importance
- 2 Why International Yoga Day is celebrated ? (Essay on International Yoga Day)
International Yoga Day Speech , Essay , Article , Importance
Speech On International Yoga Day
Why International Yoga Day is celebrated ? (Essay on International Yoga Day)
International Yoga Day is celebrated on 21st June, 2016 every year. This day was internationally recognised by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on December 11, 2014.The idea of an international yoga day was proposed by our Prime Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi on September 27, 2014. Mr. Modi proposed the date to be June 21 and mentioned that this is the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere and has special significance in many parts of the world. And the first International yoga day was celebrated on June 21, 2015. The ministry of AYUSH arranged this huge event in India. 35,985 people including Narendra Modi and a large number of dignitaries from 84 nations assembled to celebrate this day by performing 21 different yoga asanas for 35 minutes in New Delhi. Many spiritual leaders took the initiative and expressed their support. The UN recognition made this movement more popular and benefited the entire world. The day devoted to yoga was observed by millions of people. This event established two Guinness world records for the largest yoga class (consisting of 35,985 people) and for the largest number of participating nationalities (84 nations). Yoga has existed for thousands of years like an orphan but for the first time it was acknowledged globally.
International Yoga Day 2020 Theme
International Yoga Day 2020: Due to the Covid-19 crisis, this year’s theme for the International Yoga Day is ‘Yoga at Home and Yoga with Family’. Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation on the occasion of International Yoga Day 2020.
Meaning of Yoga (Importance of Yoga)
According to the Oxford dictionary, the word yoga means – a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation which originated in ancient India. Raja yoga is the yoga of meditation. This is one of the most famous yoga of all times. The ultimate goal of this activity is moksha (salvation). Salvation is the deliverance from the power and penalty of sin.
Origin of Yoga Essay
The origin of yoga is speculated to be prior the Vedic period as mentioned in the Rig Veda. In the 1980s, yoga became trendy as a method of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in India, is more than physical exercise, it has a meditative and a spiritual heart. The first Hindu teacher to actively advocate and disseminate aspects of yoga to a western audience was Swami Vivekanand who toured around Europe and the United States in the 1890s.
The reception which Swami Vivekananda received was built on the active interest of scholars, in particular the New England Transcendentalists, among them R. W. Emerson (1803–1882), who drew on German Romanticism and the interest of logician and intellectuals like G.W.F. Hegel (1770–1831), August Wilhelm Schlegel (1767–1845) and Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel (1772–1829), Max Mueller (1823–1900), Arthur Schopenhauer (1788–1860) and others who had interest in Indian possessions.
Read Also : Importance of Yoga in Daily Life
Yoga is the most effective way of connecting your soul to God. It balances our mind and body and connects us to the natural world and helps us appreciate the world in a healthier approach. Meditation a form of yoga, helps us think about life and the Supreme power God which makes us a better person and help to make better decisions about life. Meditation is the most favorable method of balancing the psychological level of a person. It gives immense serenity and peace to the person and helps to undertake daily struggles in a healthy manner.
I have learned yoga as a student in my school and as my personal experience it is the best way to commence your day with. This would help students in focusing on the subject more and understand it in an uncomplicated manner. Every school should have a yoga session in the morning and have some quality yoga teachers. This way we would also preserve the precious souvenir given to us by our ancestors.
Objectives of International Yoga Day
International Day of Yoga has been adopted to fulfill the following objectives:
- To let people know the amazing and natural benefits of yoga.
- To connect people to the nature by practicing yoga.
- To make people get used of meditation through yoga.
- To draw attention of people worldwide towards the holistic benefits of yoga.
- To reduce the rate of health challenging diseases all over the world.
- To bring communities much close together to spend a day for health from busy schedule.
- To enhance growth, development and spread peace all through the world.
- To help people in their bad situations themselves by getting relief from stress through yoga.
- To strengthen the global coordination among people through yoga.
- To make people aware of physical and mental diseases and its solutions through practicing yoga.
- To protect unhealthy practices and promote and respect the good practices to make health better.
- To let people know their rights of good health and healthy life style to completely enjoy the highest standard of physical and mental health.
- To link between protection of health and sustainable health development.
- To get win over all the health challenges through regular yoga practice.
- To promote better metal and physical health of people through yoga practice.
Let us all come together and celebrate International Yoga Day on June 21 and give ourselves the gift of well being.